A day and a half on a new farm

Show off your robots, circuits, chip designs, etc.

A day and a half on a new farm

Postby rkda » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:31 pm

This is what my one lonely robot looks like after about 36 hours of play time, on a brand new farm.
(spoiler alert - the rest of you will get access to multiple farms "soon")

It's very simple navigation circuitry, but it makes a huge improvement in getting things done on the farm.
Note: I intentionally pushed all the logic up to the right so the center is clear. It's easier to see the farm, and easier to make the connections needed to drive the bot.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_AkM ... 2NRaFhpU0U
rkda

Re: A day and a half on a new farm

Postby worfc » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:49 pm

rkda wrote:Note: I intentionally pushed all the logic up to the right so the center is clear. It's easier to see the farm, and easier to make the connections needed to drive the bot.

...But harder for someone else to see what the logic is. Can you post a version that shows more logic, less farm?

Also...
SPOILER ALERT (Multiple Farms): While it's true that this is coming (v1.4, "soon!"), there's no real reason for a single player to have multiple farms -- all that does is dilute your progress. RKDA does it because he does some QA work for me, and some of that is "check out the early-game progress" (I was pleased to see what was accomplished in a short time!)

Another reason might be if you have multiple people sharing a device. However, make sure they play nice with each other, as there's no "password protect"!
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Postby rkda » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:54 pm

Since that image was not very helpful..here is another image where you can see what I did with the logic.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_AkM ... GRBZVg1QWM

1) The low battery gate keeps me from running the battery down to nothing. It stops the bot with about 3% power left. Enough to equip the generator and some charcoal, and charge the battery back up, before it dies completely. This has saved me many times, it's really a good use of a single gate.

2) East and North - these two control the direction the bot moves. I always move on one of the diagonals (NE,SE,NW,SW).
If north is hot, go NorthWest
If east is hot, go SouthEast
If both are hot, go NorthEast
If neither are hot, go SouthWest

3) Single step - I can't say enough good things about how much this matters. Being able to consistently and easily move 1 step in the direction you want to go is good.

4) Go - when this is cold, the bot does not move, so you can change the direction wiring without having to turn off the power to the bot. It makes many things easier.

5) Power - This is the first thing I do, as soon as I can make gates. I never want to drive the robot off the battery. Stick a NOT gate and a NODE out there in the middle, and make connections from that. Much nicer than connecting to the battery for all this stuff.
rkda

Postby worfc » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:30 pm

Nice update, thanks!

rkda wrote:The low battery gate keeps me from running the battery down to nothing.

FYI, I have a similar "don't kill the battery" circuit, but I like to leave an OR gate on it, so I can say "or, if this other thing happens, power-down."

By far, it's most common use is "When you've finish planting the current row and bump something (the wall), power down", which lets me set down the iPad and go get a soda or bathroom break or wrestle with the dog for a few minutes. :) Also, I draw power from that low battery pin, since it's convenient, and the power-off circuit kills things when it goes cold, anyway.

power-off.png
power-off.png (233.22 KiB) Viewed 4302 times
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Return to County Faire