Robot Power and Logic

Questions posed to our users about new features or possible UI updates.

Robot Power and Logic

Postby rkda » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Right now the way logic and power work is inconsistent. The question is: "how SHOULD it work?"

Idea 1:
The power switch shuts down all power to all circuits. This says the power switch is connected to the battery, and when it's off, everything is off.

Idea 2:
The power switch shuts down the master clock that updates all gates. This says that no gates can change values while the robot is powered off. And, whether powered or not, the thrusters don't move the robot.

Idea 3:
The power switch shuts down power to the thrusters, and the grabber, but the rest of the logic stays alive. This says that the power switch controls a relay which enables the motive power to the robot, but the logic circuits all still work.

There are good and bad points to all three of these positions, what are your feelings on any or all of them?
Is there a better way to look at the issue?
Last edited by rkda on Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkda

Re: Robot Power and Logic

Postby worfc » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:45 pm

To clarify a bit, the question boils down to: How should things work when the robot-power-switch is turned off? (Right, RKDA?)

* What should the robot-parts do?
- bumpers
- thrusters
- grabber
- antenna
- battery outputs
- other-sensor outputs (currently just movement sensor, but there might be more, later)
- drawer inputs/outputs

* What should gates & chips in the robot do?
- inputs/outputs
- gate logic

* Should anything at all be allowed to drain the batter when the robot-switch is off?
- Currently, gates operating inside the robot put a small load on the battery.

* Anything else you can think of that seems like it would apply to the robot's power switch (the one near the bottom of the screen, not the "master power" switch.)
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Re: Robot Power and Logic

Postby noivad » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:25 pm

worfc wrote:To clarify a bit, the question boils down to: How should things work when the robot-power-switch is turned off? (Right, RKDA?)

* What should the robot-parts do?
- bumpers
- thrusters
- grabber
- antenna
- battery outputs
- other-sensor outputs (currently just movement sensor, but there might be more, later)
- drawer inputs/outputs

* What should gates & chips in the robot do?
- inputs/outputs
- gate logic

* Should anything at all be allowed to drain the batter when the robot-switch is off?
- Currently, gates operating inside the robot put a small load on the battery.

* Anything else you can think of that seems like it would apply to the robot's power switch (the one near the bottom of the screen, not the "master power" switch.)

I was thinking about bumpers, and how when a robot moves SW for example and a tree is S of it, but not in its path it trips the bumper which, when wired to a flip-flop, makes the robot go NW, in my case. Also, when a bumper is triggered for a second when the robot is cutting a tree down, it doesn't continue either. I realize part of this is circuit design, but I wish a few AND gates were given out do I could gang the S&W bumper to trigger the flip-flop to go NW.
noivad

Return to How should it work?