Are bumpers too promiscuous?

Questions posed to our users about new features or possible UI updates.

Are bumpers too promiscuous?

Postby worfc » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:36 pm

(In another thread, Noivad said...)
noivad wrote:I was thinking about bumpers, and how when a robot moves SW for example and a tree is S of it, but not in its path it trips the bumper which, when wired to a flip-flop, makes the robot go NW, in my case. Also, when a bumper is triggered for a second when the robot is cutting a tree down, it doesn't continue either. I realize part of this is circuit design, but I wish a few AND gates were given out do I could gang the S&W bumper to trigger the flip-flop to go NW.

Are bumpers too promiscuous? There was a reason they were done that way, but I forget what it was. It might be related to back when thrusters & bumpers pointed "diagonally" (on the screen, which is "square" on the farm-grid.)

FWIW, I have On The List a feature to allow the user to switch the bumpers/thrusters between square-to-screen or square-to-farm-grid ("diagonal"). While there is Not Very Much Time left to change current bumper behaviour[1], if you've got a way you want the "diagonal" (I call "square" ;) ) bumpers/thrusters to behave slightly differently, now's a good time to let me know.

-----
[1] I mean, I can make changes, but it gets harder the more users there are. Once we ship, we're hoping for a steadily growing community of users, so "sooner" is a good time to make changes.
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Re: Are bumpers too promiscuous?

Postby Denis » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:11 am

Somehow I had missed this.

Personally, I wish bumpers were less promiscuous, as you put it. It would simplify my life greatly. Now, it is totally possible that the way they are now is "a good thing" later on in the game. Others can attest to that.

On the other hand, the grabber can stay promiscuous :)
Denis

Postby worfc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:31 am

Denis wrote:Personally, I wish bumpers were less promiscuous, as you put it. It would simplify my life greatly.

Can you elaborate? What are the problems the current say causes you? In what ways do you envision "new bumpers" being improved?

(I have no plans to nerf the grabber :) )

worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:21 am

Well noivad mentioned it in your quote, when you pass along a row with grown trees, your bumpers trip and your logic gets screwed. When I use bumpers, it's always to detect something on my current path, never to check if there is something in the adjacent row. Of course, at the moment the bumpers are "square to the screen" and I personally use the "square to the grid" logic, so perhaps I'd feel different with "square to the grid" bumpers.

But, basically, I see bumpers as sensors to detect that your current motion encountered an obstacle. The fact that they get hot for things that aren't obstacles to the robot's current motion makes "logic writing" more complicated than it should and prevent some use-cases.
Denis

Postby worfc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:37 am

Gotcha. Ok, I'll work on that.

worfc
Site Admin

Return to How should it work?