How should robots put items into/out of chests?

Questions posed to our users about new features or possible UI updates.

How should robots put items into/out of chests?

Postby worfc » Sat May 09, 2015 12:55 pm

Currently, a robot can drop the selected inventory item on the ground. Also, if an item is on the ground near a chest, the chest vacuums it up.

There isn't currently a way for a robot to select a specific chest and put things in. For example, if there are 2 chests, and the robot drops an item near both, which one will get it is not clear. (The answer has to do with the internal data structures.)

Also, there's no way for a robot to take an item out of a chest. That has to be done manually, but the user.

It's possible that things will stay this way for v1.0 and won't get updated until after but, if we come up with a really good interface and it's not too difficult to implement and "get right", we could try to squeeze it in for v1.0.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on how this could/should work.

Thanks!
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Re: How should robots put items into/out of chests?

Postby rkda » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:43 pm

With the upcoming additions to the crafting interface...robots will have sensors that can identify specific items, a chest could have a similar plug to the crafting plug, with a put-this-in-the-chest, and a take-this-out pin, that matched the sensor.
Either the chest can read the sensor and match the item it senses, or the chest has a next-next sort of thing like in the crafting description.
Then there are pins for get1, put1 (and maybe getAll, putAll)

hmm...I'm starting to like the idea of item sensors being both send and receive, such that you can plug a programmed sensor into a chest or the crafting interface, and you get that item, rather then the next-next-next loop.

If you wanted to duplicate a sensor, you could plug a blank one into a programmed one, and you would get 2 that matched. If you wanted to be fancy, you could take a specific sensor (ironwood tree) and make a generic version (any tree) sensor from it. There's no way to go from generic to specific. If you want specific, you gotta have one to work with.

A similar mechanism could be used when dealing with the market.

You still have to deal with counting, and knowing how many you have, and how many you need, when doing this, so it's not like all the interesting complexity goes away.
rkda

Re: How should robots put items into/out of chests?

Postby worfc » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:40 am

I believe you are on the right track with chest-inputs and outputs.

Initially, I think the in/out would only appear on the robot-interior; I don't think we're quite ready to start running wires out on the farm. (We'll need a way to drag items to/from inventory <==> robot-interior, of course.)

Your idea for duplicating a sensor is exactly in keeping with the current design.

You're also correct about the market interface, which is also in the works. I want to work out all the kinks with crafting first; once that works, we'll replicate the interface to chests & market.

Numeric registers and comparators are also On The List.
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Return to How should it work?