Allow selling for 0 coins?

Tell us your ideas for how to make the game better.

Allow selling for 0 coins?

Postby Denis » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:17 pm

I always end up with one !%$#**() annoying seed blocking my inventory. You have to rewire to drop that seed, and it gets in the way, or you have to do the chest swap thing if your chest isn't already full to the brim of that seed type. But you cannot sell seeds below the minimum (say 12 fir seeds). Allow us to sell these for 0 c (giving them away to charity) so we can get rid of them without too much trouble.
Denis

Re: Allow selling for 0 coins?

Postby rkda » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:18 pm

This is what the Brick Furnace and Crucible do. They take what ever you put in them, and destroy it.
rkda

Postby worfc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:40 pm

rkda wrote:This is what the Brick Furnace and Crucible do. They take what ever you put in them, and destroy it.

This was, in fact, exactly why the "incinerator" was born.

So, would it be useful for the market to say something like:

"You don't have enough of these to sell at the given price. The shop owner doesn't do long-division, but offers to take your (2) Pieces-Of-Junk off your hands and dispose of them properly, without charging you a fee. [Ok] [Cancel]" ...?

Then, if we allow such a thing, what would be the programmable "robot" way to do it? Another pin? The "confirm sale even if short quantity" input?

(I'm not very fond of that latter idea, but could be talked into it. The manual one doesn't seem so bad, though I dislike the idea of "more UI." I also dislike the idea of "things the player can do that they can't program a robot to do better/faster/cheaper/with more panache"... but I get that those seeds are annoying.)

Also of note: by the time you get to where you are now, you should have access to all the extra inventory-drawer pins, so there's no real "rewiring" to drop something it's just a simple wire from "drop inventory" to "something in inventory is selected."

NOTE: Don't make the mistake that I make -- EVERY @#$% time! -- and forget to disconnect the wire when you're done with it. One of these days, I have to teach my robot how to solder, so I can program him to make/break that connection as desired. ;)
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Postby worfc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:50 pm

Btw, in case you don't know what extra inventory pins I mean, I'm talking about in the image below. Once you successfully put something into inventory, you should get these extra pins, and an explanation of how they work. (NOTE: This was triggered by your early-on "I dropped my saw and screwed myself all up" thing. Now, on a fresh-farm (try the DEMO farm to see what a n00b sees), there is no "drop inventory" pin, only "put items into inventory" pin. N00b-lives were saved, thanks to yoU! :)

Make the illustrated connection (yellow line), and anything that's selected will be dropped. Remember to disconnect the grabber, or you'll just pick it up again. If you want to get fancy, you can probably hook up a latch with one-output to power grabber, the other to power the AND gate connected to drop-selected. Then you could hook up some fancy logic to pick the one you wanted based on ...uh... whatever you use to feed the inputs!

worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:28 pm

Well, I may have found another bug then, because I don't have those pins on the inventory. I don't have those near the crafting and selling either that I've seen in some pictures (and I think I had at the beginning).

Regarding automation of selling items for 0 coins, is it possible at this time to sell items automatically? I assume it is because of your comment, but I wasn't aware it was. How does it work?
Denis

Postby Denis » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:52 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.66 KiB) Viewed 3841 times
Denis

Postby worfc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:55 pm

Oh, heh. Ok...

So, once I figure out "the right time" to tell a player, this will trigger automatically. In the mean time, if you look at the help/tutorial* for either Text Registers or Numeric Registers, it will unlock those pins.

Case #1040 added to do this as part of game progression.

-----
* Robot/Misc menu => Help & Tutorials => Text/Numeric registers.

worfc
Site Admin

Postby worfc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:57 pm

And, yes, you can both craft & sell stuff at market using those pins.

You probably want to have either an item-sensor and/or register/comparator before you mess around with those too much. :)

(Possible logic with sensors/comparators and these new pins: Switch the selected item until it's an ironwood seed. Switch the selected tool until it's the dibble. (Plant seeds.) Craft iron bars. etc.)

worfc
Site Admin

Postby worfc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:59 pm

Also of note: The "sell at market" pin will sell the selected item. There is no "undo." Test with something yo udon't care about (clay, pinecone seeds, wooden saws, etc...)

#justSayin'...

worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:23 pm

ok I'm not sure if you mean it was a bug or I should have opened that help before that. No matter.

Is there a way to get that help that came with the new pins back? I was partway through it but my robot needed attention and I closed the help to attend to him and now I can't find the help.
Denis

Next

Return to Gameplay Feedback