First impressions

Tell us your ideas for how to make the game better.

Re: First impressions

Postby worfc » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:39 am

You've discovered a bug which was partially fixed earlier, but it looks to be not-fully fixed, as I just discovered in gathering an image to show you what's happening.

Everything in the game has a mask or "footprint." Below is an image showing some chests on the ground with their masks displayed.

The chest looks in an area 3x3 "cells" wide, centered on itself for items to slurp-up. The bug is: some of the chest images (based on size) don't display centered on their masks, so they appear to be where they are not. (This is an artifact of the fact that chests used to occupy more than 1 cell and, when they were changed, the update was incorrect.)

I'll get this fixed in the next build.

Another thing about chests (this is more technique than a bug): If you put your robot in front of a chest and drop items, it can be difficult to look inside the chest because the robot blocks tapping the chest. If you approach the chest from "behind" (anywhere from the north-half), it's fairly simple to tap either the chest or the robot.

Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Postby worfc » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:01 am

Similarly, for next build, I've tweaked robot's display position a bit. Formerly ("currently", for you), the center of his mask was near his "hips", now ("next build" for you) it's near his axle, which I think makes more sense.

worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:03 pm

worfc wrote:Another thing about chests (this is more technique than a bug): If you put your robot in front of a chest and drop items, it can be difficult to look inside the chest because the robot blocks tapping the chest. If you approach the chest from "behind" (anywhere from the north-half), it's fairly simple to tap either the chest or the robot.

That reminds me of a similar issue. I was planting in a row and I went out of the robot's interior view to check on the growth of another crop (seems there was a farmer hidden inside me somewhere!) and then I tried to get back to the robot interior view and I couldn't. All I got was the dialog offering to speed grow. I'm not sure what can be done about it.
Denis

Postby Denis » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:05 pm

worfc wrote:Similarly, for next build, I've tweaked robot's display position a bit. Formerly ("currently", for you), the center of his mask was near his "hips", now ("next build" for you) it's near his axle, which I think makes more sense.

That's good. It makes more sense (to me) and it explains some weird behaviours I've encountered.
Denis

Postby worfc » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:13 pm

Can't tap robot : There are a couple of issues. The main one is that things that are growing are layered incorrectly, and this isn't fixed in the next build[1]. The reason I didn't get to it is because I need to separate the "dirt" from the stuff that's growing, into 2 separate items, so they can be layered properly.

Everything in the game has a "box" that is the size of the image that holds it. Except for growing things, where the box is the size of the biggest image of while it's still growing (but not the full grown thing.) So those boxes can easily cover the robot as he marches through planted ground.

The (admittedly, somewhat lame) fix that's in for Beta 1.5 is: You can use the "Where's my robot?" button, then tap on one of the arrows to get inside your robot.

I'll likely leave that in, but we definitely need to sort-out the layering of growing items before we ship.

"On the list!" :)

-----
[1] "Beta 1.5", Submitted to Apple today. It's typically a 1-2 day review process, though the release notes are posted, if you want a sneak-peek.

worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:22 pm

Crafting: there might be a performance issue when crafting a large amount of something. In the crafting dialog, when you select a large number (subjective), you hear the sound of crafting briefly (hammer on an anvil), and then there is a subjectively long pause where nothing happens (and I *think* even the background sawing/hoeing/etc. sound stops). Then all the crafted items appears and flow to the inventory.

Also, I'm not clear on what happens when crafting a large number of things that have a chance of failure. The same behaviour happens, except you get a few sounds corresponding to 'it worked' and 'it failed', but not for the number of items selected. I came to fall back to craft those one by one as I wasn't sure what was happening exactly.

Thrusters: I've come late to the party and I saw the help with the diagonal thrusters. I remember you said you went to horizontal/vertical thrusters for some reason. So, I'm not sure what was the reason to change, but personally I'd prefer diagonal thrusters. There might be a good reason I don't see yet, but at this stage I'd prefer them diagonal.

Can Make: putting this mode as default is a good thing. The catch is that, what would be really cool is to have a 'can make and can almost make' mode. It's the way I find what to do next. I check everything in the list and see that I need only a few items to make something, so I endeavour to get these items. That and seeing which seeds are next in the list. The point being that, if it only shows what you can make now (and with your current inventory) it may limit the discovery of what should be the next step. I know you can't have both but you might have a way which I haven't thought of.
Denis

Postby worfc » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:54 pm

Crafting/performance: Fixed in Beta 1.5 (you didn't read the release notes, yet?!?! ;) )

Crafting/learn-by: In the crafting view, "craft 5" is exactly the same as "craft 1, select item, craft 1, select item..." From there, you can guess how failures work. Qed. <G>

Ok, seriously though -- if you craft something that only has a %-chance to succeed, and you let-loose with 10 at a time, you're unlikely to get all 10. But you might get some, depending on your %-chance. In addition, each failure (of the 10 tries) bumps your %-chance up ("Learn by doing/failing"). It really is "as you'd expect", for any reasonable expectation I can imagine.

(If you imagine-different, please let me know.)

Which reminds me...: We're getting pretty far-afield from "first impressions" (and page-what? 5? 6?) It might be almost time to explore the "bug reports" or "suggestions" forums. ;) (Or at least start fresh threads for "thoughts on thrusters" and "why can't I craft?!" and the like...)

Thrusters: diagonal vs orthogonal: Diagonal made perfect sense to me, too but, in early useability-testing, every single person questioned it and most found the whole concept confusing.

One thing that might happen (and it might not happen until post v1.0. Unclear on that part, but it seems "not critical to shipping") is: I may add a faint overlay (maybe a pale yellow or green) -- user toggle-able but default "on" for new users -- that makes the ISO grid more-clear. I think that, if that was laid-out in front of users, then diagonal thrusters/bumpers would be much easier to follow.

"On the list!"

Actually, now that I entered it into the bug-base, the real feature is going to be:
Case 858: User option: diagonal/orthogonal bumpers/thrusters. Programmable.

"Because I can." :)

Can Almost Make: Switch to "All", then turn on both "Tech" and "Tools". This sets your filters to "I have the tech, I have the tools, but I maybe-do/maybe-don't have the materials."

Then you just go get materials and craft away!

(I know: not exactly what you asked for. But it trims the list way back to things that are sort of in the realm of possibility.)

Also: new (Beta 1.5) missions help walk you through a bunch of this stuff.

(You may be ahead of several of the missions. It's ok, you'll survive! ;) Just craft/collect whatever it tells you to again, and you'll be fine.)

Note on "collect" missions. If it says, for example, "craft 5 iron bars", and you already have 12 (or 4), just craft one more, and that will trigger the "check if he has enough iron bars" logic. Not-really-a-feature, but how-it-works: if you begged, borrowed, stole or purchased-at-market those other iron bars, crafting that last one still does the trick.

worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Crafting: that's exactly what I'd expect. All good, thanks for clarifying.

Not-so-first impressions: yeah ok you're right, this is was easier but I'll stop here and start a new thread for each of my comments/idea (well, you asked for it!) ;)

Can almost make: you've mentioned this a number of times, and each time I try it out and it doesn't work for me, or at least not as expected. I just realized why it doesn't work! I can't read properly! Seriously, you write 'select all, then...' and I read 'select can make, then tech and tool' and I try and it doesn't work (which makes sense when I really read what you wrote). See, I would have expected it to work with 'can make' and 'tech' and 'tools'. Now that I think of it, selecting 'tools' and 'tech' would be the same thing as 'all' normally, so I see why you went for that behaviour, but it's not intuitive (to me).

Next comment: you'll have to read it elsewhere :D
Denis

Previous

Return to Gameplay Feedback