First impressions

Tell us your ideas for how to make the game better.

Re: First impressions

Postby Denis » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:26 pm

Crafting ironwood seeds! Huh! I'm not sure I'd have found that out (by myself).

I'll look into that tomorrow. I had a major crashing bug on my iPad (it's running iOS9, remember). It *was* while I was in WORFC but I don't think it's related, and in any case, it's still a beta version of iOS. Anyways, it's installing the latest beta and restoring everything. So exploring the crafting interface will have to wait. I'll post the few comments I have on your last reply then as well.
Denis

Postby worfc » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:57 pm

If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to have you look for a crash-log for worfc (or a low-memory or baseband crash with the correct timestamp.)

As you are running iOS9-beta, I'm going to assume you have a dev account and know how to get crash logs. If not, let me know

Thanks!
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Postby rkda » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:59 pm

Denis

First of all...I want to congratulate you, for having the perseverance to stick it out through the difficulties you are encountering.
Second...Your feedback is amazing. Every developer I know (myself included) wishes they had somebody like you to look at early versions of their work.

With respect to seeds for iron and sand and copper. Those seeds are crafted.
If you scroll way down the crafting list, past stuff you won't be able to make this decade...
...there is a section called "Seeds" and in that section you can find the requirements for making Ironwood seed and Beachwood seed and Copperwood seed and Plastic Tree seed.

Getting Iron and Beach and Copper is fairly straight forward, once you know where to look.
Plastic Tree Seeds are quite a bit more involved. (Then "gate tree" seeds are much more complicated still.)
Once you have Ironwood and Beachwood (beach / sand / silicon crystals) you can start making your own gates.

If you have gotten your 200 wood, then you are well on your way to gathering the resources needed to get started with ironwood seeds.
Keep up the good work, and especially, keep up with the great comments about issues you come across.

Thanks,

RKDA
Fellow beta tester
rkda

Postby Denis » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:05 am

Regarding progression: it seems I was going in the wrong direction (trying to sell stuff instead of crafting things), so there might be no reason to change things like 'more stuff sooner', but make sure new user don't get off track like I did. For reference, here is the general thought process I went through: there are missions that show you how to chop trees, then gather wood, and you find seeds as well. Then a mission shows you how to craft a hoe with the materials you have and then to hoe the field and plant your seeds. Strangely at that point I didn't know what to expect from the seeds growing and, seeing a tree pop up was a surprise. I had a doh! moment where I realized that, of course it's a tree stupid! But then I looked around the farm, seeing 4-5 types of trees, and told myself: well this is it then, with the resources around me I'll be limited to harvesting and planting these trees. How will I ever get something else? I briefly looked at all that can be crafted but there were too much stuff and after a short while I just went to 'tools' and used that. I don't know how I missed the 'craft a seed' thing, I will look at the interface when my iPad is functional again and see if I can figure it out. But I missed the possibility to craft seeds completely. So looking around I thought: there is a market to buy/sell things, aha! that's what I'm supposed to do! That's the way to get the resources you don't have at first. You use what you have to get coins, buy some resources you don't have that can eventually be planted and harvest something that can be sold at a higher price etc. This is a resource/farming game, it must be the model. So I saw the iron tree seeds were very expensive. I decided to try to get an iron saw first to be more efficient at harvesting trees. Then I got bored trying to go that path and commented about it. I'm not sure if all this makes sense but it's the basic thought process I went through.

So, perhaps I'm simply dense and should have seen the possibility to craft seeds (I guess it's in the 'can make' list). Probably, with the starter mission implemented this would have been obvious.

Inventory limit: ok then it was simply that I had reached the 200 woods and they kept falling. Perhaps a dialog the first time you reach the 200 limit?

No mission accomplished: just to be clear, I did get the mission completed thing. I was just expecting that it would unlock something in the game. Since it didn't, and I was stuck with no mission to do, I tried to find what I was supposed to do next and that's when I decided it must be the market (as explained above).

Crash logs: sure no problem. I thought that you got them through TestFlight? Where do I send them?

RKDA: thank you for your kind words and help. As long as everyone remembers that I'm only a single data point (and I can be dense sometimes) and no one tries to draw a line just from my comments (if the mathematical reference is ok with everyone) then I'm happy to share. :)
Denis

Postby worfc » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:31 am

Progression: Hopefully, some of this will improve once I complete my "write 100 more missions" task.

"Chop chop!" <G>

Now I'm wondering if setting "can make" as the default in crafting might be a good idea. And maybe a mission that talks about those filter buttons.

Inventory limit alert: (New, thanks to you) case #818.

Crash logs: I thought I was supposed to get them through TestFlight, too! Maybe I have to go see if it's a "pull" rather than push thing.

Where to send them: (Moderately obfuscated, because this board has been hammered by spam-bots): "cases" (like bug-report cases) then that funny "A" with a tail, then "worfc" and "fogbugz" (our bug-tracking system) with a dot between them, then the same top-level-domain extension that is the URL for these forums.

(Think of it as "a quest"! ;) )

If that's too much work, it's the same address that email goes to when you use the Feedback/bug-report option in-game (Robot/Misc menu, lower-right of farm-view.)

worfc
Site Admin

Postby worfc » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:53 am

Hmmm, so far, it appears that the user has to send crash reports (though you can set that up to be automatic.)

Details in the bug-reporting forum. [Link]

worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:19 am

Well I had to restore my iPad to my last backup and so lost the logs from yesterday, sorry.

I'm still trying to re-install TestFlight, then worfc.

Your link to 'Details of bug-reporting' leads to the code of conduct of the board, not to bug-reporting.
Denis

Postby worfc » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:03 am

Link edited (and tested!) Sorry about that -- copy/paste error.

worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Finished restoring my iPad. I re-installed TestFlight, re-installed worfc.

Is there a magic way to get back to my farm? Pretty please 8)

I just had access to 'create a farm' and 'play demo'. I re-entered my nickname, but as you explained, that only helps you in debugging.
Denis

Postby Denis » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Trees: I was wondering for a long while which one is the twopine tree. I know this is a case of the missing manual, but just to be sure it's on the list :)

Ironwood tree: managed to make one of those. Magnificent. Now I am not sure what do to with it. Chop it down for iron is my guess but I don't have anymore twopine tree seeds so I don't want to 'waste' this one.

(obviously I've started over so no need to dig up my older farm)

Edit: ok now I'm not sure anymore which is the twopine cone tree.

Grabber: is there a more efficient grabber later on? It seems that this one is not very good. The robot stops continuously to cut trees and still there's a ton of stuff left behind. Having to go back and forth to pick up stuff is not fun. Perhaps tweak it so it's better at it.
Denis

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Feedback