First impressions

Tell us your ideas for how to make the game better.

Re: First impressions

Postby worfc » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:58 pm

IMPORTANT NOTE : (I have a bug written about this.) The recipes that ask for a particular pinecone, will take ANY pinecone. That's an artifact of the code that figured it had to pick a name to display, so it just picked the first one on the list. Bad developer!

Twopine is the one with 2 tops. But it doesn't matter, use any pinecone.

Grabber: Will investigate.
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:43 pm

Are you sure about this? There might be another bug actually.

See the picture below. I have 96 twopine cone seeds, 24 tall pine cone seeds, 84 fir pinecone seeds, and 2 Topiary pinecone seeds. I didn't use the longpress to identify the seeds, I just assumed that those I had only two of were the one required (needs 4, two short). I think the ironwood seeds requires topiary pinecone seeds. It certainly doesn't take *any* pine cone seeds since I have 206 pine cone seeds. For a moment there I thought perhaps it was that 'pinecone' was different (for the algorithme) than 'something pine cone' (the space in the middle fuddling the algorithme), but the fir has 'pinecones' so that's not it. So I can't craft it and I'm full of pinecones.

craft.jpeg
crafting
craft.jpeg (97.67 KiB) Viewed 3832 times

inv.jpeg
inventory
inv.jpeg (96.07 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
Denis

Postby worfc » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:55 pm

Aha! No, I'm certain about what the recipe accepts, but you discovered a DIFFERENT bug.

The 4 pinecone data-types are: seed-pinecone-0, seed-pinecone-1, seed-pinecone-2, seed-pinecone-3

The recipe accepts: seed-pinecone-* (As expected, * matches anything)

However, I'm 99% sure that, since it's telling you you're short 2 pinecones, that what's happening is, it's looking at whichever type it is you have 2 of, seeing that you don't have enough of them, and then not bothering to look further.

Definitely a bug. Definitely will be fixed by next update. Depending on how stable things are between now & then, maybe I'll do a "hot-fix" for you mid-week.

In the mean time, you can either...
* Get 2 more of the kind you only have 2 of.
* Drop the 2 you have on the ground, and let craft-manager look at the other kind.

Sorry about that!

"Welcome to beta" ;)

(Also: Yes, I know the pinecone-icons are lame. "Placeholder/programmer art." )

worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:48 pm

Ok I see what you mean. I can confirm that it's looking at the topiary pinecone seeds because I got another one and now I'm missing only 1 for the recipe.
Denis

Postby Denis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:14 am

Couple of things:

View farm in robot interior view: would it be possible to 'remember' the choices for the 'view farm' and 'follow the robot' inside the robot view? I find myself often returning to the farm view for a moment and then back to the robot interior view and I have to reselect these two constantly.

Generator: I running low on battery so I made a generator, except I have no idea what to do with it. I selected it in the tool drawer, which is itself wired to the battery. Since I didn't see any other way to wire the generator to the battery, this seemed the best thing to do. There isn't any feedback, either a pop-up or the battery changing color and it's not charging. What do I do with it exactly?

Order of things in the craft panel: I'm often finding myself going all the way to the bottom of the list of things to craft to get to the seeds to see what I'm missing to make iron wood seeds for example, perhaps put those near the 'basic tools'? It should come before the nuclear reactors ;)

edit:
Chest: so my inventory input turned yellow, I remembered you talked about that and I counted 15 types in it. So I made a chest, expecting to be able to put things in it and expand the 'capacity' of the inventory (say put seeds in the chest, taking one slot instead of the 6 they now take. I can't figure out how to accomplish that (or use the chest). BTW, I thought about it only afterwards, but the chest actually broke the 15-limit rule as it's the 16th item in the inventory. I'm not sure if that's what's intended.
Denis

Postby worfc » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:08 am

Save View farm/Follow settings: I'll put on the list for "the following week" (Not this coming Tuesday, but next.)

Generator: Upcoming mission to describe that!

In the mean time:
* Select generator (tools drawer)
* Select coal from inventory
* Apply power to generator (tools drawer.)
* Generator burns coal, charges battery.

NOTE: Generator automatically turns-off at 100%, though, if you're at 97%, it will burn a whole coal to top you off.

Order of things in the craft panel: Already re-ordered. In addition, I made "can make" the default, which brings-in the list quite a bit. You might find that "All" + "Tech" + "Tools" tells you what you could make, if only you had enough raw materials. (I may explore making that the default after we run this way for a week. You guys can tell me.)

Chest: In the next build, you can't craft or buy-at-market items beyond your current inventory. (Right now, you can. I call this a "Get 'em while they're hot!" bug -- beta-testing isn't all bad! ;) )

To use a chest:
* Drop it on the ground.
* Stand near it.
* Drop a bunch of whatever you want to unload on the ground.
** Chest will "slurp-up" what's near it (until the chest is full.)

At this point, the robot can pick-up the chest & return to inventory, or just leave it on the ground. While on the ground, you can tap the chest to see its contents. I believe the "how to drag items out of the chest" UI is self-explanatory. Just in case it's not, I'm not going to explain it, and let you tell me the confusing parts. :)

"Soon!"*, there will be robot-interior inventory management where you can clutter-up the inside of your robot with chests & other inventory items, dragging them into & out of the various drawers. The benefit is: hold more stuff! The downside is: cluttered robot, in a space where "neatness counts."

---
* In case it's not obvious, "Soon!" is sort of my inside-joke meaning "yeah, I know -- it bugs me, too. Don't worry, I'll get to it, one of these days, just as soon as I fix everything else that's more-badly broken." Importantly, "Soon!" has no bearing, whatsoever, on calendar delivery date, other than to indicate that I know about the problem, and am sworn to fix it before my death. :)

worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:23 am

worfc wrote:* In case it's not obvious, "Soon!" is sort of my inside-joke meaning "yeah, I know -- it bugs me, too. Don't worry, I'll get to it, one of these days, just as soon as I fix everything else that's more-badly broken." Importantly, "Soon!" has no bearing, whatsoever, on calendar delivery date, other than to indicate that I know about the problem, and am sworn to fix it before my death. :)

ROTFL: I play a mystic in CL, I totally get the meaning of "soon!" :D
Denis

Postby worfc » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:30 am

A mystic?!?!

NO MORE HINTS!!!

;)

worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:49 pm

worfc wrote:A mystic?!?!

NO MORE HINTS!!!

;)

Pfa! :D

Just a thought that occurred to me, not based in science but perhaps something that might help with the investigation of the grabber not doing its job as much as I'd like. Is it possible that the reach of the saw when moving in diagonal (which reaches a wider path) is greater than the reach of the grabber? That might explain it? The saw reaches the tree, the stuff falls from it (I'm guessing a bit randomly near the tree) and the grabber doesn't reach it.

Anyways, just random thought!
Denis

Postby Denis » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:17 am

Chests: I've encountered problems when trying to use a chest that I had dropped while near the stone wall. I haven't tested all the walls, just the SW wall (that might be relevant). The chest dropped but everything I dropped afterwards fell to the ground instead of the chest. I went to the center and it worked there. I figured out how to take stuff out of it.
Denis

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Feedback