Materials colors

Tell us your ideas for how to make the game better.

Materials colors

Postby Denis » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:40 pm

I know the art isn't final/complete, just something to consider when putting it together eventually:

There's a wooden hammer, then an iron hammer, then a steel hammer. The first one is brown, the second one is green, the third one is blue. That's a good thing, because it would be difficult to tell them apart otherwise (the art is small). On the dibble the art is bigger so you can actually make the different shapes, but the colors don't match the other tools for the same material. It's inconsistent.
Denis

Re: Materials colors

Postby noivad » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:55 pm

I agree the visual language should be consistent and predicable to lessen orientation time it takes to see the state/type of item/robot.

I would settle on making wood light brown, iron a dark red (since that’s what it looks like when it starts rusting) & slate blue for steel.

Making a standardized “hue=material” visual convention also opens up a way to either change saturation and/or brightness depending on if wear or material purity(quality) is ever a factor in a robot’s lifecycle.
noivad

Re: Materials colors

Postby worfc » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:53 pm

The dibble isn't "caught up" to the color-coding, yet.

New artist came on board this weekend; hopefully there will be lots of art coming "soon!" :)

Also, the scheme is:

* Items have a "level": -1, -2, -3 (Wood, iron, steel for the basic tools.)
* -1 is white; -2 is blue or green (I forget), -3 is the other one.

This will carry over into workbenches, furnaces, etc., once we get "real" art.

About 90% of the in-game art is stuff I downloaded from Google image search (the new flowers are all pirated from Farmville ;) ). "Real Soon Now™'", it should start to be upgraded.
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Return to Gameplay Feedback