Moving, Cutting, Grabing, on the diagonals...

Tell us your ideas for how to make the game better.

Moving, Cutting, Grabing, on the diagonals...

Postby rkda » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:42 pm

Here's how it really works (as of beta 1.5, subject to change with or without notice)...

When cutting through, a solid mass of trees, on the diagonal, the saw cuts 3 rows wide. The row the robot is walking in, the row below the robot, and the row above the robot. The grabber will attempt to pick up every item cut. It will fail in some cases. It will always pick up all the items from the row the robot is standing in. Sometimes the saw gets you 1 item, sometimes it gets you more than 1 item. For the row above and the row below the robot, the grabber will only pick up 1 item for each cut. This can leave items laying around, which need to be picked up later.

Even when cutting down a single row, if there are gaps in the row, the grabber will miss things, at the end of each contiguous run of trees. Leaving a pile of clutter in the row that the robot is cutting.
rkda

Re: Moving, Cutting, Grabing, on the diagonals...

Postby Denis » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:36 am

Hello rkda :)

Is that a new behaviour in 1.5?

That would explain things I've observed regarding the grabber's performance (or lack thereof), and something I speculated upon (saw reach vs grabber reach). That does not explain the observation that after sawing in diagonal in one direction, turning back and moving in the reverse direction, I still had to saw my way back, so perhaps that's what's new?
Denis

Postby rkda » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:31 pm

This behavior is unchanged since I started playing (Beta 0.something)

If you change the wiring to the thrusters with power on, you may not think you moved (will be really close) but may be off by 1 step in some direction. Which would cause you to have to cut your way back out. Also, if there are trees on 1 side of the bot, and not the other...it completely changes how the bot reacts to trees not in the direct path. Sometimes those neighbor trees are recognized, and cut. Sometimes not.

I have not been able to figure out a consistent behavior for those cases.
rkda

Postby Denis » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:46 pm

Ok I was just wondering because you mentioned "as of beta 1.5".

My observation is this: with the farm as it is in the very beginning (a clearing surrounded by trees on all sides) start in a diagonal, say NE, with the saw. At some point stop the robot (power off). Rewire to move in the opposite direction (SW) and start the robot. The robot will (sometimes?) have to saw trees on the way out. Perhaps it 'feels' differently on the left side than on the right side (depending on how it's aligned or misaligned with the grid).
Denis

Postby rkda » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:05 pm

My standard practice since about week 2 playing with WoRFC, has been to cut SW out of the center, down to the rock wall, then cut SE, down to the corner.

That way, I can see my robot, I can tell what it's doing, and I can keep track of it, since all the trees are above (behind) the robot.

As I need more working space, I cut my way back toward center, but always keeping my robot on the "outside" of the main forrest clump.
rkda

Postby Denis » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:18 pm

Interesting! Thanks for sharing :)

I've come to clear the SE part of the farm completely. First about a quarter of it, then as I need more charcoal/lumber I've cleared to about half of it. I plant, as needed, rows that are spaced by 1-2 empty rows, starting from the rock wall. I use an end-of-row logic to power down the robot when it reaches the NE or SW wall. That's about what I can do with the logic gates I have atm. I'm working on getting more (and trying to think of other things to do with them).
Denis

Postby rkda » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Yep...sure enough...it changed.

Here's how it works now...

If there is a tree directly in front of the robot, in the direction of motion, it will cut that tree. If not, and there are trees on both sides of the robot, it will randomly pick one side or the other and cut that one. If there is only a tree on 1 side, it will cut that one. Then the robot will step forward, and pick again.

This means a robot can cut a 3 wide swath through a solid forrest, but it will take 3 passes to do it. Also, the cuttings from the trees on the sides will not be picked up. You will need to make separate passes to pick up the items left laying around by doing this.
rkda

Postby worfc » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Changing again in Beta-2 (next day or 2). I believe the new behaviour is more "like one would expect."
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Return to Gameplay Feedback