All, Tech, Tools

Tell us your ideas for how to make the game better.

All, Tech, Tools

Postby Denis » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:09 am

I've been thinking on that thing where by selecting both Tech and Tools in the crafting interface gives you things you can make and could make if you had the necessary items. Perhaps change the All button to cycle through All // Can Make // All-most :) Ok, perhaps not 'all-most', perhaps 'discovery' or something like that, the idea being that the first button has 3 modes. Selecting both 'tech' and 'Tools' and getting something else than 'All' just bugs me for some reason.
Denis

Re: All, Tech, Tools

Postby worfc » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm not quite following this one. What does "All-most"/Discovery/whatever display?
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:43 pm

Well, ok that might have been a little obscure. I must say looking back that my understanding of what these buttons do was wrong, although to be quite frank, I'm still not clear on what they do, exactly...

[back then]: At the time I wrote that, the way I saw the 'tech' and 'tools' buttons was this: I thought that pressing 'tech' would show technology items that you can craft, and 'tools' would show tools that you can craft. And by "can craft", I mean 'of all the items that you can craft on this list, independent of skill or resources'. SO basically I thought that 'tech' showed you half the list and 'tools' the other half. Just a way to limit the number of items to make it faster to sort through.

[Now] I think that 'tech' shows you what you can make with your skill level[1], and I have no idea what 'tools' does.

But [back then], it made no sense to me to select both 'tech' and 'tools' at the same time, since it basically meant "show me half the list, and the other half" which, as everyone knows, is the same as 'all'. So the suggestion was to have 3 states to the first button to prevent that: a state {All}, a state {Can Make}, as now, and a 3rd state which would be {things you can almost make, because you almost have all the resources, or you almost have the skill}. The third would probably need to be shortened a bit. I had two suggestions: almost (of which I made a bad pun all-most) or perhaps discovery.

[Now], I'm not too sure what I would do with these, except put in a chapter in "help & Tutorials" :)

-------------------------------
[1]: regarding what you can craft with various skill level: I have not found that it was ever a limiting factor, except perhaps once. At the point I am at the moment for instance (I crafted my first plastic seeds and I'm working on what is required to make plastic), pressing 'skill' doesn't change anything. I am not sure what the higher skill level requirements are, I think lvl7? I am level 8 in all skills except two which are level 9, so perhaps you need to increase the level requirements of the higher level stuff like PCB and numeric registers. From what I can see down the road, it'll take me a long time to get to those items and I might be level 10-11 before I have the resources to make these. But more on the game progression in another post
Denis

Postby worfc » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:59 pm

What the crafting buttons do (now):

* All: shows everything.
* Can Make: Shows what you can-make, giving your current materials, tech & tools.
* Tools (implies All): Shows what you could make, given your current tech (skill), if you had the mats & tools.
* Tech (implies All): Shows what you could make, given your current tools, if you had the mats & tech.
* Tools+Tech (implies All): Shows what you could make, given your current tech & tools, if you had the mats.
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Return to Gameplay Feedback