Lost in trees

Tell us your ideas for how to make the game better.

Lost in trees

Postby rkda » Sun May 17, 2015 12:03 pm

The tall, wide, trees can be problematic. It is easy to loose your robot in the weeds, with no way to find it again, other than randomly taping the screen. Need some way to identify the location of your robot. Maybe it blinks slowly, or has a light that can be seen through the trees. Maybe it carries a flag on a pole? (Alternate flags could be crafted, maybe as a premium item or vanity reward). Maybe a button that causes your robot to “ping”, or center the screen over it, or something.
rkda

Re: Lost in trees

Postby worfc » Sun May 17, 2015 3:46 pm

rkda wrote:The tall, wide, trees can be problematic. It is easy to loose your robot in the weeds, with no way to find it again, other than randomly taping the screen. Need some way to identify the location of your robot. Maybe it blinks slowly, or has a light that can be seen through the trees. Maybe it carries a flag on a pole? (Alternate flags could be crafted, maybe as a premium item or vanity reward). Maybe a button that causes your robot to “ping”, or center the screen over it, or something.

I'm wavering a bit on the tall trees. I commissioned a specific artist[1] to make these specific trees because I saw something else she did and was completely enamored with the style. They've already been shortened quite a bit from the original, but I completely see what you mean about "lost robot."

The next build will have a "find my robots!" button, which I hope will mitigate this. You can already tap the (hidden) robot in the forest to get back inside.

We may eventually revert to smaller trees, either in the current style[2] or some other. But I want to stick with these for a while and see if I can "make them work." Mostly because I just love the artwork.

Another consideration: These are "lumber" trees, but I think that the iron, silicon, and other "crop" trees will be shorter; at least shorter than the robot.

I toyed with having the robot put up an antenna or something, but I think the current ("next build", to you) "find my robot(s)" button implementation will serve our purposes until we think of an improvement.

It's not completely out of the question that we'd just replace the trees; it's just that I really like this style, and want to see what we can do with it.

Other options include a taller robot or partial-transparency on the "leafy" part of the trees.

----
[1] Isadora. See credits in the About view

[2] The tall, slender, water color, paper-cutout look for trees & grass.
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Postby worfc » Sun May 17, 2015 4:02 pm

FWIW, here's a partial screen-grab with the old trees (also old robot, but new grass & dirt.)

Also of note, there's a LOT of new art headed our way. Everything up until very recently has been just whatever I grab off of Google Image Search as a placeholder. Some of it is "ok" looking, but most of it will be replaced by "real" art produced by a "real artist." (currently working with "MJ") :)

worfc
Site Admin

Postby worfc » Sun May 17, 2015 4:06 pm

Ok, last reply (for a while! ;) )

"Robot flag/pennant, customizable, possibly as fancy reward or vanity IAP" added to The List (case 401.)

Almost certainly post-v1.0, but you just never know! :)

worfc
Site Admin

Postby rkda » Sat May 23, 2015 8:17 am

Yay -fixed! Hidden robots can be targeted now.
rkda

Postby worfc » Sat May 23, 2015 8:22 am

Hooray. I almost took out the "spam the arrows" thing, but decided it was kind of fun and didn't really hurt anything. :)

worfc
Site Admin

Return to Gameplay Feedback