Sound Feedback: Saw Monotony

Tell us your ideas for how to make the game better.

Sound Feedback: Saw Monotony

Postby noivad » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:05 pm

I realize this is still not complete, but I would like a less monotonous sound for the saw. I can see about what I can generate if you’d like. I’m not sure if it should loop. The planting sounds is more to my liking. I’ll have to unlock the steel saw to see if the frequency just increases and speeds up. (I figure it will, can if so I can match that with something less grating, I will.

Perhaps independent sound controls for tools and another channel for other SFX since I turn the sound way down because of the saw and almost miss hearing more subtle sounds.
noivad

Re: Sound Feedback: Saw Monotony

Postby worfc » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:38 pm

If you come up with a better saw sound (open license), I'll gladly use it.

Your idea of independent tool volumes is interesting, but probably not going to hold-up v1.0 on it. (Case #915, now slated for v1.0.1, which is what I'll be working on while I wait for Apple to review 1.0 :) )

I'm not sure I like the idea of not-looping. Or maybe I mis-understand. Would it help if the sound played once at the start of each tree-sawing? (I believe a single play-through is 3 "vwoop-ah"s of the saw.) I could see that, maybe, but "only play once at the start of a row" seems like it misses out on the "feedback" channel.

I haven't sawn enough to be totally annoyed by it, yet. ;)

All sounds are "normalized", to facilitate overall-volume-setting. Would it work if I just turned-down the original saw sound, some?

I'd like to hear others' feedback on this, too.

Thanks!
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:55 pm

I can't say that I'm tired of it, yet, although I might soon! :)

Those around me when I play, though, are already quite tired of it. My daughter translated the saw sound into a phrase (in french) which she repeats constantly when I'm sawing just to get back at me!
Denis

Postby noivad » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:51 pm

worfc wrote:If you come up with a better saw sound (open license), I'll gladly use it.

Your idea of independent tool volumes is interesting, but probably not going to hold-up v1.0 on it. (Case #915, now slated for v1.0.1, which is what I'll be working on while I wait for Apple to review 1.0 :) )

I'm not sure I like the idea of not-looping. Or maybe I mis-understand. Would it help if the sound played once at the start of each tree-sawing? (I believe a single play-through is 3 "vwoop-ah"s of the saw.) I could see that, maybe, but "only play once at the start of a row" seems like it misses out on the "feedback" channel.

I haven't sawn enough to be totally annoyed by it, yet. ;)

All sounds are "normalized", to facilitate overall-volume-setting. Would it work if I just turned-down the original saw sound, some?

I'd like to hear others' feedback on this, too.

Thanks!

Okay to try to explain in text: The planting and tillin sounds are "bloop bloop bloop [pause] bloop bloop bloop [pause]…"
While the sound saw is: "zzt-shhzzt-shhzzt-shhzzt-shhzzt-shhzzt-shh” with no pause until the job is down. If is was 3 “zzt-shh” with a pause pause then 3 ”zzt-shh” until done, it would be less irritating.
And yes, if you decreased the saw volume by about 30–50% it would also be good IMO.

I will see if my old copy of Reason has anything I can make as a good saw sound. Then, like the few sounds I made for CL, any sound I make for you I can just give you a royalty-free license for this game. (unless you felt like throwing coin my way—in which case I wouldn’t stop you.)
noivad

Return to Gameplay Feedback