Stone wall images layer

Tell us your ideas for how to make the game better.

Stone wall images layer

Postby Denis » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:54 pm

The robot avatar moving along the NW wall get's hidden behind some of the stones in the wall there. They should be behind the robot's layer.
Denis

Re: Stone wall images layer

Postby worfc » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:05 pm

Hmmm, I can't find this; can you post a screenshot?

(Or just partial, if that's easier.)

Thanks!
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:18 pm

Hm, it seems to happen only going along the wall in the NE direction. And the overlaps occurs mid-robot mostly, so it makes it hard to stop the robot for a snapshot. Here's a partial success of what I mean.

wall.jpeg
Wall
wall.jpeg (12.23 KiB) Viewed 2665 times
Denis

Postby worfc » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:21 pm

Yeah, I was just coming back to say nevermind -- I see it now.

(I need a "save this demo-farm as a bug-case" DEBUG button!)

worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:49 pm

worfc wrote:(I need a "save this demo-farm as a bug-case" DEBUG button!)

What?
Denis

Postby rkda » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:10 pm

He has a button in his "special debug version" that lets him save a copy of a farm and tag it with a bug report number. Except it only works with a regular farm. If you start with the demo farm, save is disabled.
rkda

Postby Denis » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:45 pm

Ah! Thanks for translating rkda! :)
Denis

Postby worfc » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:12 pm

To clarify (not that it matters much): I have a script up on the farm-server that lets me quickly & easily save off someone's farm with a bug number, and a button on my special debug-version of the game that let's me "sign in" as, for example "bugzid-123", which then gives me that farm.

This, btw, is what the "nickname" is good for. Your farm is saved with some obscure crypto-key filename, so, on the server, it looks like "1234-5678-90ab-cdef-ghij.farm" (or whatever.) If you tell me "hey, my current saved farm demonstrates this obscure bug, and my nickname is 'Denis'", I can ask the database "What's the obscure farm-name for user with nickname 'Denis'?", then go run my script to save that farm as "bugzid-321". Then I can go test against that while you keep playing, and you don't have to worry about deleting anything important to my bug-fixing.

None of this affects game-play in any way; it's just nerdy "behind the scenes" worfc-trivia.

In addition, I'm saving bug-farms a lot less now a days than I used to, so it's starting to become "a thing of the past." Hope-hope-hope.

Still, a DEBUG button to say "save this DEMO farm for later" after I'd cleared 3 rows of trees next to the NW wall and made a bot ping-pong along it would've been handy for later when I want to test the fix.

Speaking of that fix... I think I'm going to mark this case as a "duplicate" or "collateral fix" that will self-rectify when I fix movement. Here's what I know about your bug:

I'm pretty sure you can't stop the robot in a "mis-layered" configuration. That's because, what is happening is that movement works like this:

* Update the robot's "farm-cell" location.
* Sort the robot into the appropriate layer, given his cell location.
* Animate moving the robot into the new location.

The issue you're seeing is when the robot is sorted per his new location, but is physically still at his old location, before the animation begins. Then he "walks into the correct layer". How it will be fixed is that movement will eventually work like this:

* Animate moving 1/2 the distance to new location.
* Update the robot's farm-cell.
* Sort the robot into the appropriate layer.
* Animate the other 1/2 of movement.

If that doesn't eliminate it, it will at least make the problem very-very-tiny. Perhaps some day (in the distant future), I will work out some sort of "keep updated in real time" mechanism. But even that is still "1/60ths of a second" type stuff; there really is no "real time", only "you can't tell the difference"-time.

worfc
Site Admin

Postby Denis » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:21 am

Thanks for the explanation. I'm into nerdy behind the scene stuff :)

That explains why it happens only while moving NE and why I can't stop it to snap a picture.

Thanks!
Denis

Return to Gameplay Feedback