!Open@todo::docs:1001:Overview of @Todo list

Tell us your ideas for how to make the game better.

!Open@todo::docs:1001:Overview of @Todo list

Postby noivad » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Hiya, in my IDE, I can quickly see my todo lit be searching for @todo and seeing an list of every line with that tag.

Given that Forums are woafully inadequate to store overviews and reference info in. If a Wiki isn’t possible (although it is really easy to set up a media wiki) I thought that perhaps making a sticky note that had a list of @todo(s) and having it categorized by type of @todo would be great. You could also append a ticket number to each in this format “!(status)@(todo|done|denied)::<todo type>[|optional type]:<case/ticket number>:<description> [optional url to forum or blog post]
This is an example:

::Bug::
!closed@done::bug:###:closed: fix core audio trap missing
!reopened@todo::bug:###:repatch the air leak
!open@todo::bug:1666:open the pod bay doors HAL
!closed@denied::bug:1666:I’m sorry Dave. The pod bay doors cannot be opened at this time because I must eliminate variables that could cause this mission to fail.

::UI::
!open@todo::ui:###::: Dynamically update items able to craft http://www.worfc.com/forums/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=86
!open@todo::ui:886:: make thrust-/bumper-cluster item that can be used to drive robot.
!open@todo:ui:887:open: Shrink tool & inventory drawers to not-block robot circuitry.
!open@todo::ui:888: Allow multiple simultaneous powered tools.
!open@todo::ui|docs:###: add icon to hints and other descriptions that reference them

::Art::
!open@todo::art:###: make silicon tree graphics
!open@todo::art:###: change all iron tools to a red outline

::Sound::
!open@todo::sound:###: replace saw sound [url to come]

::Documentation::
!inprogress@todo::docs:1001: have an overview todo list (this post here)
!open@todo::docs:###:add video to show battery level behavior
!open@todo::ui|docs:###: add icon to hints and other descriptions that reference them

Rationale: This would allow players to quickly see what has been suggested and for you to also have an overview to reference or share with helpers. In my experience with the business of creating and managing projects, the gap from what you know to what others know can be bridged by a standardized overview that anyone involved can see and quickly reference to relieve what I can “orientation resistance.” As you know, less resistance in a circuit the more efficiently the signal travels. Categorizing these signals as you have described in-game can quickly reduce communication problems such as noise and redundancy (re-suggested suggestions). Having a URL link to the post the case would allow a place for people to discuss the problem and leave the overview uncluttered
noivad

Re: !Open@todo::docs:1001:Overview of @Todo list

Postby Denis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:57 am

Hello Noivad,
I understand what you're proposing here is for testers to know what has been already proposed. I'm not sure if that would be a productive way of doing things though. From the looks of it, worfc is already using a ticket tracking software (there are a number of them, like JIRA, Bugzilla, etc.) which have much more depth than a simple TODO comments method (although it's not incompatible to use both concurrently). It would be a lot of work to duplicate the information and keep it up to date on the forum in addition to that dedicated system.

In any case, I think there is no harm in multiple testers suggesting the same thing. I think it's actually a good thing, since each will express them in their own way and might shed a slightly different light on the issue.
Denis

Postby worfc » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:33 pm

TODO: Yup, Xcode has that, too. In my code base, it's comments of the form //TODO: or //FIXME:

To be honest, the thing where you use the in-app bug-reporting (or just send email to the same address) is great for me, because it goes directly into my bug database! :)

However, the reason I encourage discussion in the forums is because your "brilliant idea" might be someone else's "dumbest thing I've ever heard" and it's good for me to hear all sides of the discussion before making a decision.

That said, you few forum-active people have been really great! Denis has been a fountain of thoughts on how I can make the game more approachable; RKDA is the master of trail-blazing ahead so I have a chance to fix bugs in advanced game play before anyone else gets there, and you've been a great supply of "there's a crack in the infrastructure here" bugs. THANK YOU ALL!

Wiki: I love media wiki! In fact, the whole reason I'm in the forums today is to copy-out notes to paste into the worfc wiki. :) That said, I'm unlikely to open the wiki for public editing, at least not for a while. (I must have 20 or so mediawiki-s set up for various purposes. They're great!)

In the mean time, I HAVE started a worfc wikia; it's barely even skeletal at this point, but feel free to update it, if you like. (Wikia is a site centered around community-sourced game-wikis.)

Sticky note for TODOs: I'm not sure what you mean by a "sticky note". Here in phpBB? I'm new to admin-ing this kind of forum, so maybe I'm just not familiar with the feature. The only "sticky"-s I know about are where I can pin a forum-topic to the top of the forum.

Release Notes: I have plans to update the release notes web page with "planned for future builds" items. "Soon!" ;)

All that said, I'm with Denis that more discussion is good. If multiple people post the same thing, that's cool with me. Or, if people actually search-first, and just post "bump" on a topic, that's helpful, too!

Also: I was just checking this morning to see if my bug database has the ability to allow public read-only. I'm sure some other tool does, but I really love the one I'm using (FogBugz), so am unlikely to switch just for that feature. However, if it turns out to be possible, I'll likely flip that on sometime soon after I figure out how.

As for your comments about project management and ease of communication: I'm 100% with you. However, full & open lines of communication need to be made hostile-user safe. While this forum isn't the perfect tool, it's being used by lots of big, popular products and seems to work well enough; plus it has a nice mechanism for slowing the onslaught of spam and other nastiness.

Please let me know if I've completely missed some key part of this suggestion, or a critical tool that would greatly simplify all of it. I'm happy to learn, but keep in mind that this whole thing is "just me" (and a couple of contract artists) and 99.44% of my effort is on development. (Oh, to have a team-of-2, where we could trade-off the non-dev tasks like communication and whatnot! :) )
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Postby noivad » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:09 pm

worfc wrote:TODO: Yup, Xcode has that, too. In my code base, it's comments of the form //TODO: or //FIXME:

To be honest, the thing where you use the in-app bug-reporting (or just send email to the same address) is great for me, because it goes directly into my bug database! :)

However, the reason I encourage discussion in the forums is because your "brilliant idea" might be someone else's "dumbest thing I've ever heard" and it's good for me to hear all sides of the discussion before making a decision.

That said, you few forum-active people have been really great! Denis has been a fountain of thoughts on how I can make the game more approachable; RKDA is the master of trail-blazing ahead so I have a chance to fix bugs in advanced game play before anyone else gets there, and you've been a great supply of "there's a crack in the infrastructure here" bugs. THANK YOU ALL!

Wiki: I love media wiki! In fact, the whole reason I'm in the forums today is to copy-out notes to paste into the worfc wiki. :) That said, I'm unlikely to open the wiki for public editing, at least not for a while. (I must have 20 or so mediawiki-s set up for various purposes. They're great!)

In the mean time, I HAVE started a worfc wikia; it's barely even skeletal at this point, but feel free to update it, if you like. (Wikia is a site centered around community-sourced game-wikis.)

Sticky note for TODOs: I'm not sure what you mean by a "sticky note". Here in phpBB? I'm new to admin-ing this kind of forum, so maybe I'm just not familiar with the feature. The only "sticky"-s I know about are where I can pin a forum-topic to the top of the forum.

Release Notes: I have plans to update the release notes web page with "planned for future builds" items. "Soon!" ;)

All that said, I'm with Denis that more discussion is good. If multiple people post the same thing, that's cool with me. Or, if people actually search-first, and just post "bump" on a topic, that's helpful, too!

Also: I was just checking this morning to see if my bug database has the ability to allow public read-only. I'm sure some other tool does, but I really love the one I'm using (FogBugz), so am unlikely to switch just for that feature. However, if it turns out to be possible, I'll likely flip that on sometime soon after I figure out how.

As for your comments about project management and ease of communication: I'm 100% with you. However, full & open lines of communication need to be made hostile-user safe. While this forum isn't the perfect tool, it's being used by lots of big, popular products and seems to work well enough; plus it has a nice mechanism for slowing the onslaught of spam and other nastiness.

Please let me know if I've completely missed some key part of this suggestion, or a critical tool that would greatly simplify all of it. I'm happy to learn, but keep in mind that this whole thing is "just me" (and a couple of contract artists) and 99.44% of my effort is on development. (Oh, to have a team-of-2, where we could trade-off the non-dev tasks like communication and whatnot! :) )

No, you decoded my input correctly. And Yes: Sticky in phpBB = pin the post to the top.
Also, Media Wiki (which I use and also love) has various levels of usability. One easy change to the config file is to require an account to edit. Another is to allow levels of user so you can have contributors (authors), editors and admins plus define other custom group privileges. I had to close down CLUMP’s open door registration policy because spam accounts couldn’t be easily deleted in bulk, but it is still readable by anyone. Let me look at my config options…
These should allow you to open it up just like the CLUMP without fear of spammers. (This was a brutal lesson in letting MediaWiki be open without a method to dispose of junk accounts and only a SysOp staff of 1 (now I hear there’s a plugin to bulk erase spambots).

LocalSettings.php:
Code: Select all
# When you make changes to this configuration file, this will make
# sure that cached pages are cleared.
$wgCacheEpoch = max( $wgCacheEpoch, gmdate( 'YmdHis', @filemtime( __FILE__ ) ) );

# Prevent new user registrations except by sysops
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['createaccount'] = true;

#Only Registered users may edit pages with this line
# Requires MW 1.5 and up
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['edit'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['autoconfirmed']['edit'] = false;

$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createtalk'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createpage'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['writeapi'] = false;

#Require users to confirm email address before they can edit, true to enable. Also, as of MediaWiki 1.12, requires people to supply an email address when registering.
$wgEmailConfirmToEdit = "true";

#Disbles Talk for Anonymous users.
$wgDisableAnonTalk = true;

The biggest Caveat is you have to create accounts for users by adding them yourself and sending them the info via email (which is not guaranteed to be SSL). So, I actually use in game methods to relay passwords or other means — if you can’t trust your GMs/SysAdmins not to peek, who can you trust? (Not that I wouldn’t welcome any GMs from having their own legit account.)
noivad

Return to Gameplay Feedback