Coming changes re: login

Tell us your ideas for how to make the game better.

Coming changes re: login

Postby Denis » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:37 am

I read the announcements. Great that we won't be reset :)

But there is also talk of a method of login that will make it possible to delete the app and not lose your farm. The question is: will we be able to switch to the login method without loosing our farm?
Denis

Re: Coming changes re: login

Postby Denis » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:16 pm

I made the question stand out because there was no answer given :)
Denis

Re: Coming changes re: login

Postby worfc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:28 am

Yes, of course. The purpose of "Facebook login"* is to associate some more-or-less-permanent identifier with your farm, so it can be recovered when the app gets separated from your login-ID.

Currently, if you delete the app, next-install sees that there is no user-ID and creates a new [random-ish] one for you. You can see how that would be a problem if you had all this great farm work built up!

The idea of this new feature (FB-login*) is that it would associate your other (FB) account and, after delete/reinstall, you could say "hey, my farm is the one associated with this account", and get it back.

Right now, that's not even a manual process. About the closest we have is: if you delete & reinstall, and use a nickname, and convince me that it's really you and not Noivad trying to hack your farm, I could copy your old farm into your new user-ID by hand. Maybe. Assuming I didn't screw it up. Even if I managed without screwing it up, you can see how this does not scale to dozens -- let alone 100s or 1000s or millions -- of users!

------
* Temporary name. It might be Facebook, it might be something else. It might be both. I'll probably start with Facebook unless their SDK is just too much of a PITA. ;)
Posted by WORFC, board admin, moderator, game author.

Please LIKE us on Facebook
You can also follow us on twitter: @roboFarmCraft
Check out the development blog (short updates 1-3x/week.)
worfc
Site Admin

Return to Gameplay Feedback